LINKIN PARK IN THE END

September 30th, 2010

In today’s society many people have problems staying together in relationships.  The reason’s for this is because we have to high of expectations and many of us cannot live up to those expectations. The end usually results in someone cheating on each other, fights about money, or argues about what’s for dinner and what’s on TV.  So why do people stay in these relationships when they are not working out?  What keeps them together, is it because their in love with each other, are afraid of being along one day, or do they want to keep everything the same 365 days a year because they do not know how to deal with change. 

Linkin park’s In The End, which was written by the lead singer Chester Pennington answers some of these question.  Let’s start with the opening lyrics. 

“It starts with One thing I don’t know why
                                           It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
                                           Keep that in mind I designed this rhyme
                                           To explain in due time”

In relationships people break up for many reasons but how could you start with one thing when there are many things that led to the break up.  I tried so hard to keep the relationship going but whatever I did just did not work out.  I will try and explain this to you the best I can over time.  Chester lyrics in the beginning of the song states the fact that its difficult to stay in a relationship when their our problems that exists. How many times have you heard the old saying why did you stay with her or him for so long because you know people who have certain personalties do not change. They always make the same mistakes.  You should have broken off with that person sooner.  That’s how you could explain it later to people.  Your friends tell you after the breakup that you should have done it sooner. That’s what Chester means you can explain in do time.

All I know
                                                       Time is a valuable thing
                                                       Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
                                                       Watch it count down to the end of the day
                                                       The clock ticks life away
                                                       It’s so unreal
                                                       Didn’t look out below
                                                      Watch the time go right out the window
                                                      Trying to hold on, but didn’t even know
                                                      Or wasted it all just to watch you go

These lyrics are the key to the song.  Linkin Park is expression the fact that time is short and you cannot waste a second of your life. Day by day, month to month, and year after year go by quickly.  Do not waste my time if you do not want to be in a relationship.  Life is short and if you do not want to be with me say it.  These lyrics are very strong and have a deep meaning.  He’s living in regret and believes he should have seen the light and left her sooner but stays in the relationship.  How could I be so blind and not see what was happening when it was right in front of my face.  And know he has to live with the fact that he’s still in love with her and is having trouble dealing with the fact she is no longer in his life. It’s hard for him though because he was still in love with her.  Chester quoted on VH1 behind the music “sometimes dealing with the pain of loosing someone you love so much is so hard because you love them so much but have to let them go or they will hurt you again. This lyrics in the song expresses the pain you go through in the relationship trying to figure out how this happened. (VH1 behind the music)

I kept everything inside And even though I tried, it all fell apart What it meant to me will eventually be A memory of a time when I tried so hard and got so far But in the end it doesn’t even matter I had to fall to lose it all But in the end it doesn’t even matter One thing, I don’t know why It doesn’t even matter how hard you try Keep that in mind I designed this rhyme To remind myself how I tried so hard In spite of the way you were mocking me Acting like I was part of your property Remembering all the times you fought with me I’m surprised It got so far Things aren’t the way they were before You wouldn’t even recognize me anymore Not that you knew me back then But it all comes back to me in the end You kept everything inside And even though I tried, it all fell apart What it meant to me will eventually be A memory of a time when I tried so hard and got so far But in the end it doesn’t even matter I had to fall to lose it all
But in the end it doesn’t even matter I’ve put my trust in you Pushed as far as I can go And for all this There’s only one thing you should know I’ve put my trust in you Pushed as far as I can go And for all this There’s only one thing you should know I tried so hard and got so far But in the end it doesn’t even matter I had to fall to lose it all But in the end it doesn’t even matter

The rest of the lyrics deals with all the frustration he had to deal with in order to try and keep the relationship going.  He treated his woman very well.  The man did everything you would expect a man to do to make his woman happy.   The music video expresses the lyrics very well.  During difficult times when they had an argument they would work out their differences by talking it out.  Things were going well for a while until she commits the biggest sin of all. She gets caught having an affair with another man.  Chester catches them together. He is holding roses that he planned on given her. His girlfriend looks up and sees that Chester saw them kissing. He throws the flowers to the ground and she chases after him to ask for his forgiveness.  The lyrics where he emphasizes this strongly in the song:  I’ve put my trust in you which pushed as far as I can go And for all this There’s only one thing you should know I’ve put my trust in you.

The artists saying that I cannot trust you anymore and we are through. The relationship is over the minute you cheated on me with another man.  The end shows you a man with the picture of his girlfriend sitting on the beach.  He lets the picture go and the wind blows it away.  The end of the song suggests that Chester had to let the love of his life go because what she did was unforgiveable which is expressed one the last line of the song: I had to fall to lose it all but at the end it does not matter.

This song has it all when it comes to break up in relationships.  In the end reached number 1 for 6 weeks on America’s top 40 countdown.  I feel this song was so popular because people in today’s society can relate to the lyrics.  Unfortunately, most relationships end today because people cheat. If it happens to you the message this song gives you is to let that person go because if they cheated on you once they will probably do it again although it will be difficult to let that person go because you are still in love with them.  Take some time for yourself to recover from the break up before you move on to a new lover.

5 Responses to “LINKIN PARK IN THE END”

1. Ryan on October 3, 2010 10:53 pm

This is a good analysis! I however associate this song with a different meaning. Every time I think of this song it brings me back to a time in my life when I was taking care of my grandmother while she was dying. Then again everyone will hear this song and hold a different memory.

2. Laura on October 5, 2010 3:39 pm

I honestly believed that this song referred to a relationship between a parent and child but this makes more sense. I always loved how this song teaches us that life is too short and that time is extremely valuable. I grew up listening to this song and many other Linkin Park songs and I always felt that they had a message that they wanted to tell their listeners and I always believed that this song was about time. He says ‘What it meant to me will eventually be A memory of a time..’ So even through the fighting, distrust, and hatred he learned the importance of time and how easy it is so let it slip away.

3. joanc on October 9, 2010 2:27 pm

I think this song could have multiple meanings, not just relationship-wise but it can be more personal. It can be about one’s life and the passage of time, the trials that he/she is going through, as well as sacrifice. That, one, ‘had to fall to lose it all, in the end it doesn’t even matter’. The lyrics has a dark yet meaningful undertone. I like how Linkin Park combines rap and rock music together which was very significant, giving the song a more distinct sound.

4. Amy Herzog on October 24, 2010 5:22 pm

Clearly there are many ways to read the lyrics of this song! I’d love to hear more about the music itself, especially, ans Joanne notes, because Linkin Park has been such a force in terms of blending genres in contemporary music.

5. JohnAdled on April 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Excellent post! Really loved it, havent seen an artice this good in a while.