ROCK AND ROLL The Impact of the Electric Guitar

October 25th, 2010

What effects did rock and roll have on sound/music that was recorded?

Rock and Roll became the most popular music in the twentieth century.  It made such a bigger impact on American society because the music was being used in motion pictures and on television.

Rock and Roll introduced us to a new innovative sound that was never heard before in music. For the very first time electric guitars were amplified through loudspeakers.  The amplifier eventually replaced the acoustic soundbox of the guitar.  This was huge because the electric guitar had unlimited power.  Think about going to a concert today to see Metallica today and you could not hear the loud guitar playing in the background.  I could not imagine not hearing Metallica play as loud as they do at live events could you?  Anyway, the power chords of the electric guitar became the trademark of rock n roll.

The guitar sound made rock recordings different than jazz music.  Imagine hearing an echo on all rock and roll records.  Artists that used these rock recordings were Elvis Presley, “Heartbreak Hotel”, Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues, and Gene Vincent’s “Be-Bop A Lula.” 

How was the sound and music recorded differently during the rock and roll era?  For the very first time “ the sound of the guitars and voices was changed in the recording studio to give these records a dimension different from recordings of other popular music.”(pg 223)

Overall, Rock and Roll did a lot to change the music industry for the better.  I feel that music would not be what it is today if we did not have the electric guitar.  All my favorite bands today use a guitar and at some of the concerts I went to they play solo acts that got a standing ovation.  The reason why I choose to do this reading is because I attended the rock and roll hall of fame last October.  The experience I remember most was Jeff Beck playing his electric guitar for about 45 minutes as a soloist. He was so amazing and got a standing ovation before leaving the stage.  What made Jeff Beck so good on stage?  Jeff Beck was able to change the beats while playing the guitar.  He said that he played specific beats to get the right tune.  I never knew that electric guitarist use specific beats to play the guitar.  I always thought a guitarist would just play really fast to impress the crowd.  That night I learned a lot about how the electric guitar is suppose to be play and I wanted to share my experience with the class.  That’s why I choose to do this article. I experienced an epic event and wanted to know the history of recorded sound of the electric guitar. 

2 Responses to “ROCK AND ROLL The Impact of the Electric Guitar”

1. Tesha Sulzen on December 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was once a enjoyment account it. Glance complicated to more introduced agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?

2. poker on December 11, 2011 2:02 am

At this time I am ready to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming over again to read more news.